Monday, January 09, 2012

Good News, Bad News and a civic award

Which do you want first?  Let’s get the bad news out of the way.

Following my recent post about the dire state of the Marsworth reservoirs, it seem things are even worse than I thought.  As from Wednesday BW will be closing the entire Tring summit pound, 3 miles through the lovely Tring cutting, and lowering its level by a foot.  This is apparently because the surrounding land is so dry that the canal is loosing water through its bed and sides at the rate of 61 million litres a week in this stretch – that’s 220 lock fulls!  As you will recall from my photo in an earlier post, the reservoirs are in no state to make up this loss, so BW have little choice.

For those who don’t know the area or the canal, this is serious.  Tring is close to the middle of the Grand Union canal, effectively the equivalent of closing the M1 motorway.  Worse really, as it leaves only one alternative route south from the midlands i.e. via the Oxford canal (already short of water) and the Thames, which happens to be reasonably full at the moment.  So Rainman, keep getting out there.  Maybe organise a game of cricket or something – that’s often good for rain.

Now a bit of better news.  Although the reservoirs on the Leicester section are still very very low – Rick recently sent me this photo he took of the Welford reservoir,

welford reservoir

it seems that recent rains have put enough water into the actual canal along the 20 mile pound between Watford and Foxton for the restrictions at Foxton locks to be suspended.  So Market Harborough is no longer cut off from civilisation ( or is that vice versa).

I think we’re in for an interesting year.

Now for a totally unrelated message.  Despite the Queen having strangely overlooked me yet again in the New Year’s Honours List, I have today been promoted to the rank of Senior Citizen.  Yes, as of today I am officially an OAP, so I shall expect a bit more respect from my friends in future.  Please speak loudly an clearly as you offer me your seat on a crowded bus and refer to me as Dear or Dearie.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, dearie, our guidance says we have to call you Mr Service User' - is that allright with you love?! I SAID IS THAT ALLRIGHT.....

That's awful news about Tring - a severe restriction made worse by the fact that I love that area!

I will ask my Welsh relatives to bring a few buckets over when they visit - they've surely got plenty over there.

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Sue said...

I wonder if we will ever get back on the system this year! Still the Thames is a lovely river to spend our year on!

Well, well. Welcome to the club Neil and a very happy birthday to you. Have a great day!

Adam said...

Happy birthday Neil!

Rainman said...

Neil, I'm not going out any more even for you, I keep getting wet.
Very Happy Birthday.

KevinTOO said...

Happy Birthday old chap :)

Roger Smith said...

Just to prove life isn't fair (I SAID) the River Trent near Stenson Lock is back to it's usual scary speed and is licking over into the fields. I don't know the local canal reservoirs but all the drinking water ones nearby are a very long way down.
Still at least you can go touring using your Bus Pass.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday boating buddy x
Carrie

Simon said...

ha - happy birthday - I really should have remembered, shouldn't I? We should buy each other pints soon...

Halfie said...

Yes ... Happy Birthday!