Monday, March 25, 2013

Can you identify this engine?

This is a really really hard one.  Here are two parts of an amazing  marine engine I saw the other day.  I was a bit gobsmacked. They are part of an exhibit, and so you see cutaway sections.

IMAG0213_edited-1 IMAG0212_edited-1

Apologies for the poor photos, it was gloomy and I only had my phone, which has no flash. The first photo shows  a cutaway of the cylinder head and piston.  I wouldn’t expect you to recognise the engine so here are some extra clues.

It is a type of semi diesel engine.  It has I think three (maybe four) cylinders, and is very very compact.  It was produced in a number of versions, the latest one developed 465hp at 1300 rpm and weighed 210lb, (that’s some power to weight ratio!) and it could propel it’s craft (which weighed well over a ton) at a speed of over 40 knots over a range of a few miles.

Rick wouldn’t believe me when I told him such things existed, and he’s an engineer!

I don’t expect details of make and model, but can anyone guess what this engine is for?

3 comments:

Andy Healey said...

Motor Torpedo Boat

MoominPapa said...

Torpedo, burning fuel and compressed air or compressed oxygen?

Halfie said...

Torpedo. (And I hadn't seen the other comments.)