Friday, August 04, 2017

Banbury Canal Day revived

The formerly cancelled Banbury Canal Day has been un-cancelled.  A planned building extension across the canal was supposed to be started by now, but for some reason or other it hasn’t, so as former attendees, we got a letter from Banbury Council saying they were reinstating the canal day to take place on October 1st and inviting us to apply for a place.  Well Banbury is practically Herbie’s home town at the moment so, if we’re spared, we’ll probably put in an appearance.

Meanwhile, my cratch front panel is progressing.  Two days ago –all masked up over the white base so that the white borders will reveal later:

boardw (1 of 1)

Today after two coats of the greys:

boardg (1 of 1)


The grey paint didn’t want to sit well on top of the white gloss despite rubbing down first but I managed to persuade it in the end although at the expense of an ultra smooth finish.  I doubt the brush marks will show at normal viewing distance.  As you can see, any precision is in the masking and not in the painting.  Tomorrow morning one more coat of the greys and then the big reveal when I pull off the masking tape.  I am mentally prepared for the inevitable bits of bleeding under the tape as long as there’s not too much of it. hopefully a little dab of white here and there will make good.  Then I think a couple of coats of clear varnish will finish the job.

1 comment:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Aren't you a clever and careful sausage?
I have tried that kind of masking/painting and never mastered it, so I am envious!